AMTD group announced that Nobel Laureate Ms. Donna Strickland and Professor Timothy W. Tong, former President of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, joined the AMTD Global Advisory Committee. Dr. Feridun Hamdullahpur, the President of the University of Waterloo, joined the AMTD Board of Directors
Recently, the AMTD Group is pleased to announce that Ms. Donna Strickland, the 2018 Nobel Laureate, physicist, Professor of Physics at the University of Waterloo, and Professor Timothy W. Tong, former President of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Chairman of the Hong Kong Laureate Forum, and Justice of the Peace, officially joined the AMTD Global Advisory Committee (GAC). Meanwhile, Dr. Feridun Hamdullahpur, the President of the University of Waterloo and Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, officially joined the AMTD Board of Directors.
Mr. Calvin Choi, Chairman and President of AMTD Group said, “AMTD Group is pleased and honored to have Professor Donna Strickland and Professor Timothy W. Tong joining the AMTD Global Advisory Committee (GAC), and President Feridun Hamdullahpur joining AMTD Board of Directors. We would like to extend a very warm welcome to all of them to the AMTD family.”
As the world-renowned leaders in academia and education, as well as technology innovation experts, Professor Donna Strickland, Professor Timothy W. Tong and President Feridun Hamdullahpur will provide insights and suggestions regarding AMTD’s overall strategy, international development, innovation and technology initiatives and the company's corporate governance structure at the Global Advisory Committee and Board of Directors respectively. They will also help to further establish and improve the scientific corporate governance structure, rigorous risk management system, innovative talent development approach and promote the steady and rapid advancement of the global expansion of the AMTD Group. AMTD has always been actively participating in the communication and collaboration with the Academia, technology and education sector. The group takes a long-term approach with the aim of cultivating technology innovation and nurturing future talents. Leveraging off Professor Donna Strickland, Professor Timothy W. Tong and President Feridun Hamdullahpur’s experience, insight, innovative thinking and impact in the international academia, technology and education sector, AMTD Group hopes to better propel technology innovation, talent development, and continue to build up the AMTD SpiderNet Ecosystem, further contributing to the development of technology, economy and society.
Ms. Donna Strickland is an internationally renowned physicist, professor at the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Waterloo, and a pioneer and authority in the field of Laser Physics. In 2018, Ms. Donna Strickland won the Nobel Prize in Physics for her breakthrough invention in the field of laser physics. She was the first female scientist to win the Nobel Prize in Physics in the past 55 years, and also the third female winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in history, after Marie Skłodowska Curie and Maria Goeppert Mayer in 1903 and 1963. In recognition of Ms. Donna Strickland, the Nobel Prize Committee said that she paved the way for the shortest and strongest laser pulses created by humans, and that the technology she developed opened up new fields of research and brought a wide range of industrial and medical applications.
Professor Timothy W. Tong is an internationally renowned expert in Heat Transfer research. He was the President of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University from 2009 to 2018 and became the Chairman of the Hong Kong Laurel Forum in 2019. The Hong Kong Laureate Forum was proposed by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government and the commencement ceremony was held in Hong Kong Government House in May 2019 under the witness of the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Carrie Lam. The Hong Kong Laurel Forum is a world-class academic exchange event that connects contemporary and new generations of research leaders to enhance the understanding and increase learning interests in different fields of science and technology for the younger generations in Hong Kong and worldwide. Professor Timothy W. Tong is also a member of the 12th and 13th National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference(CPPCC), a Justice of the Peace in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and a Fellow of the International Heat Transfer Conference, and served as the Project Director of the National Science Foundation. Under the leadership of Professor Timothy W. Tong, the AMTD Group has established a profound friendship and cooperation with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and co-sponsored the establishment of Hong Kong's first school-enterprise collaborative financial technology center - AMTD FinTech Centre of PolyU Faculty of Business.
Mr. Calvin Choi and Professor Timothy W. Tong
Dr. Feridun Hamdullahpur has been the sixth president of the University of Waterloo in Canada since 2010. He is also an internationally renowned professor of mechanical engineering and a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering. In 2015, Professor Feridun Hamdullahpur became the President of the Leadership Council for Canadian Digital Infrastructure in Canada. President Fridun Hamdullahpur was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his outstanding contributions to innovation, technology and education. Under the leadership of President Fridun Hamdullahpur, the AMTD Group has conducted multi-level exchanges and collaborations with the University of Waterloo, including the establishment of the “University of Waterloo-AMTD Innovation Hub” in Hong Kong, the promotion of “Waterloo.ai Alpha project”, , and jointly established the AMTD UWaterloo Global Talent Programme.
Mr. Calvin Choi and President Fridun Hamdullahpur
The Global Advisory Committee is a consulting and advisory body for the Board of Directors regarding the strategic layout and development of the AMTD Group. The members are all internationally renowned and prestigious experts with rich experience and deep sector knowledge in politics, economy, commerce and finance, and aims to establish a global think tank for the development of AMTD through the combination global vision and vast experience of domestic and foreign experts, and to guide the way forward and enhance the international brand and reputation of AMTD. The Global Advisory Committee (GAC) meeting has been successfully held for three times. Each time, hundreds of leaders and elites from business, political and academic circles are invited to gather together to discuss the development opportunities and challenges of the new era, new economy and new finance.
At present, the Group's Global Advisory Committee is co-chaired by Dr. Annie Wu Suk-ching, the 10th, 11th and 12th CPPCC National Committee Standing Committee members, the Lifetime Honorary Board Member of the World Trade Centers Association, the founder and honorary Chairman of Beijing Aviation Food Co., Ltd.,the first Sino-foreign joint venture since China's reform and opening up , Honorary Consul of the United Republic of Tanzania in Hong Kong and Macau ; and Mr. Francis Leung Pak To, Member of the 12th CPPCC National Committee, Chairman of the Chamber of Hong Kong Listed Companies, and “Father of Red Chips”. Other members include:
· Ms. Donna Strickland, Nobel Laureate, physicist, Professor of Physics at the University of Waterloo
· Professor Timothy W. Tong, former President of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Chairman of the Hong Kong Laurel Forum, Member of the 12th and 13th CPPCC National Committee, and Justice of the Peace
· Mr. Gao Yu, Managing Director of Morgan Stanley PE division and Co-Head of the Fund's China Investment Operations
· Mr. Bill Liu, Founder and CEO of Royole, “Young Global Leader” by World Economic Forum, and Winner of the 20th "China Youth Five Four Medal"
· Mr. Soul Htite, leader of global financial technology, “Technology Pioneer” by World Economic Forum, Co-founder of LendingClub
· Ms. Rachel Freeman, Financial Institutions Advisory Manager for Asia Pacific at , International Finance Corporation (IFC)
· Mr. Raymond Yung, Member of the Board of Citibank Hong Kong, CEO of L.R. Capital Group, Independent Non-executive Director of Guangzhou Rural Commercial Bank
· Mr. Marcellus Wong, Member of the Joint Liaison Committee on Taxation of the Government of the HKSAR , former President of the Taxation Institute of Hong Kong and President of CPA Australia, Greater China Division
· Dr. Frederic Lau, former Chief Representative in New York, Division Head of Banking Supervision Division and Division Head of Banking Policy Division of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, former Senior Bank Examiner at the Office of Thrift Supervision, the Treasury Department of the United States
· Mr. Sin Yat-kin, council member of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, former Commissioner of Correctional Services of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government, Silver Bauhinia Star(SBS), Hong Kong Correctional Services Distinguished Service Medal(CSDSM)
· Mr. Ros Lam, Assistant Commissioner of Insurance at the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (Currently The Hong Kong Insurance Authority)